Setup: Most portfolio or class group projects require some set-up time on our part. Portfolio set-up fee is $10-$15 per order and group projects vary from $5-$15. Fees are based on our $40 per hour rate.
Formatting: All projects should be saved in PDF format. They should be set up as a single PDF document with blank pages inserted if/where needed. NO SPREADS. No multiple files of single pages, just a single file with multiple pages. Orders that require “cut-to-bleed” must be set up with proper margins.( more information on bleeds below). For saddle-stitched booklets (stapled on the fold), the total number of pages must be divisible by four. If your pages are not in multiples of 4, you will need to add blank pages to fulfill this requirement.
File Preparation: graphics should be 300dpi or better for proper printing. Check your files for pixilated art and broken links. Be sure to flatten images, remove unused layers and convert fonts to outlines whenever possible to reduce processing times and errors. Please work in CMYK environment to assure your screen view will best match the final product.
Bleeds: no printer will print all the way to the edge of the page. If you want your project to “bleed”, set it up with room to trim without cutting into your artwork. It may be best to set up your document as 8 x 10 so that we can run and cut from 8.5 x 11 sheet. You will need 1/8” margin plus 1/8” bleed. See diagram below:
Bleed Set-Up Guide
Plan Ahead: Remember that all of your classmates will have projects due at the same time and we often get quite backed up. This year, we will log customers’ orders as they are received and run jobs accordingly. For groups, we ask that you send one person (or possibly two) to handle the printing. We have a small space and it can be difficult to accommodate large groups. Allow a minimum of 3 hours and as much as 24 hours for your order to be completed.
We encourage you come by with your digital file prior to your actual order so that we can take a look at it with you and ensure that it is set up correctly. Hopefully, we will spot any errors or formatting issues before the deadline crunch.
A few additional notes:
- Saddle stitched booklets require extra time due to custom cutting and stapling. We cannot run saddle stitched book while you wait. They generally cost more as well due to custom sizes.
- Stay away from bleeds if you are unsure of the technical requirements (see Bleed Set-Up Guide above). Bleeds can cause problems and delays if not properly executed.
- Portfolios/projects set up with white borders are generally much faster and less expensive.
- Remember to leave a margin for binding of any kind. Typically, we allow 1/4 to 3/8" for binding punch.
- It is best to not have one drawing or text across the fold, as they will never align perfectly.